读书·书单:《跳舞女郎 》作者:玛格丽特·阿特伍德
基本信息书名:跳舞女郎作者:玛格丽特·阿特伍德标签:加...
“怂”这个字几乎被,国内外的朋友们玩坏了,在国内,人们通常用“怂”,来形容那些软弱无能的人。可是不知道哪个朋友,竟然把它拆解为,“从心”(follow your heart),这样错误的翻译,真让人哭笑不得。
下面,带着大家看看,老外是如何用英语表达“怂”的吧。
coward 懦夫
I was, to my shame, a coward.
我很惭愧,我是个懦夫。
He's a coward and a bully who confuses physical strength with manhood.
他是一个懦夫,一个分不清蛮力和大丈夫气概的恃强凌弱者。
But, at the same time, I admit that I was born a coward.
但是同时我不得不承认我是一个天生的懦夫。
I would be a coward if I left now.
如果我现在离开,就成了一个懦夫。
wimp 软骨头
But he looks like such a wimp: I'm afraid he doesn't have the guts to handle a real crisis when it comes up.
可是,他看起来像个软骨头。 我担心,在真正发生危机的时候,他可能不会有足够的勇气来处理问题。
I was a wimp.
我是个窝囊废。
What a wimp that boy is!
那真是个没有骨气的男孩。
weakling 没用的人
Think that weakling is a worthy opponent?
你认为那个懦夫配做我的对手吗?
Next time I'll leave you in the trash, weakling!
下次我不帮你了,没用的家伙!
You are a miserable weakling.
你是一个可怜的弱者。
wuss 胆小鬼
Are you being a wuss?
你想当胆小鬼?
I'll tell you what kind-a coward, a wuss.
我告诉你们,是懦夫,是胆小鬼!
craven 懦夫
No man wants to be thought a craven person.
没有人希望被人认为是个懦夫。
A hero risks his life to help others; a craven runs from the scene.
英雄冒着生命危险区帮助别人;而懦夫却临阵脱逃。