读书·书单:《太空的六场葬礼 》作者:穆尔·拉弗蒂
基本信息书名:太空的六场葬礼作者:穆尔·拉弗蒂标签:小...
关于颜色的习语,我们已经讲过蓝色、黑色和绿色,今天再来看看红色。
相对于在中国文化里的喜庆吉祥,红色在西方文化中有着更为复杂的解读,与暴力、血腥和亏空都有关联。因此,在理解下列习语时,就不能单纯地只看字面意思。
1
To be shown the red card
亮红牌:源于足球术语,意为遭人解雇
The company Accountant was shown the red card, after they found out he was using company money for personal gain.
挪用公款谋私的事情一经败露,公司会计便被解雇了。
2
To be in the red
财政赤字:经济透支、银行贷款或欠他人钱
I've got three credit card bills to pay off at the moment. I hate being in the red!
我有三张信用卡需要还债,我讨厌财务赤字!
相应地,to be out of the red就是“还清欠款”的意思。
Our company is finally out of the red now. We’ve managed to pay back our loan, and now we’re making profit!
公司现在终于摆脱赤字了。我们已经还清了贷款,甚至还有些盈余。
3
Catch someone red-handed
抓个正着:逮到某人正在作案或做不该做的事
He kept lying to me about where he was going in the evenings, so yesterday I followed him and caught him red-handed. He was with another woman!
他一直不告诉我这些天晚上究竟去了哪里,所以昨天我一路跟着他,抓了个现行。他竟然跟别的女人在一起!
4
Red in the face
脸红:感到窘迫
I went red in the face when the teacher told me off in front of everyone for arriving late!
由于迟到,老师在全班面前批评我,这让我很难为情。
5
Red-eye
长途夜航航班:夜晚出发早上到达的旅行
We had to catch the red-eye flight last night, and I’m completely exhausted now.
昨晚,我们不得已做了夜航航班,现在我累坏了。
6
Red-letter day
值得纪念的重要日子
The day I graduated was a red-letter day for my mum, she still talks about it today!
对母亲而言,孩子的毕业日是个大日子。直至今日,她还会说起这件事!
7
To see red
突然生气:对某人或某事突然发怒
John saw red when he heard someone shouting at his mother.
听见有人冲母亲大喊大叫,约翰立马生气了。
8
Red tape
用来形容官僚办事迟缓或手续繁琐
I just want to start my own business, but the amount of red tape involved is so frustrating, that it almost makes me want to give up!
我想创业,但要办的手续实在是太多,让人苦不堪言。一想到这些,我就想放弃。
9
Paint the town red
狂欢:出门,享受美好的派对时光
I've managed to get a babysitter for this weekend. Let’s go and paint the town red!
这周我请了人照看小孩,咱们出去玩吧!