读书·书单:《白天的房子,夜晚的房子 》作者:奥尔加·托卡尔丘克
基本信息书名:白天的房子,夜晚的房子作者:奥尔加·托卡...
11.Can't you...?
你就不能……吗?
Can't you speak a little louder?
你就不能说大声点吗?
Can't you stop it? It's really pissing me off.
你就不能闭嘴吗?真惹我恼火。
12.Congratulations on...!
恭喜/祝贺你……!
Congratulations on your award!
恭喜你获奖!
Congratulations on becoming a father!
恭喜你当爸爸了!
13.Could you tell me...?
你能告诉我……吗?
Could you tell me what time it is?
你能告诉我现在几点了吗?
Could you tell me how to use this camera?
你能告诉我怎么使用这个照相机吗?
14....do something about...
做点什么……
Can't you do something about the mess?
你就不能把这些乱七八糟的东西整理一下吗?
Do something about your English, or you'll fail the college entrance examination.
你的英语该加把劲了,不然你高考会失败的。
15.Do you know...?
你知道……吗?
Do you know what happened?
你知道发生什么事了吗?
Do you know his phone number?
你知道他的电话号码吗?
16.Do you mean...?
你的意思是……?
Do you mean you need me to lend you some money?
你的意思是你要找我借钱?
Do you mean it's my fault?
你是说这是我的错?
17.Do you want to...?
你想……吗?
Do you want to know why?
你想知道为什么吗?
18.Don't be...!
不要……!
Don't be silly!
别傻了!
Don't be so sensitive!
别这么敏感!
19.Everybody knows...
每个人都知道……
Everybody knows the boss has a hot temper.
每个人都知道这个老板脾气暴躁。
20....have trouble...
……有困难/麻烦。
We're having trouble coming to an agreement on this point.
我们在这一点上很难达成一致。
I have trouble remembering people's names.
我总是记不住别人的名字。
21.Have you decided on...?
你决定好……了吗?
Have you decided on where to go for dinner?
你决定好去哪儿吃晚饭了吗?
Have you decided on a present for your girlfriend?
你决定好送给你女朋友什么礼物了吗?
22.Have you...yet?
你……了吗?
Have you made up your mind yet?
你决定好了吗?
23.How can you...?
你怎么能……?
Andrew's Note: There is no better way in the English language to express your shoke and disappointment with someone. 这个句型是英文中表达你对某人感到震惊和失望的最好方式。
How can you treat me like that?
你怎么能那样对我?
How can you be so cruel?
你怎么能这么残忍呢?
24.How come...?
为什么……?
How come you never call me?
你为什么从来不给我打电话?
How come I have to go to bed so early?
为什么要我这么早睡觉啊!
25.How do you know...?
你怎么知道……?
How do you know my name?
你怎么知道我的名字?
26.How is...?
……怎么样?
Andrew's Note: It's polite to show an interest in people to whom you talk, and this is a good way to do it. 这个句型能够表现出你对你谈话的对象感兴趣,这会让对方觉得你很有礼貌。
How is your family?
你家人怎么样?
How is your English?
你英语学得怎么样了?
27.How quickly...?
……最快要多久?
How quickly can you get here?
你最快多久能过来?
28.I can't imagine...!
我真想不出……!
Andrew's Note: When you say,“I can't imagine...” you really have no idea. This is one of the most powerful ways of expressing your ignorance about something. 当你说“I can't imagine...”,那表示你真的一点也不知道。这个句型是表达你对某事完全不知道的一种最强烈的口气。
I can't imagine who would do something like that!
我真想不出谁会做那样的事!
I can't imagine how foolish I was at that time?
我真没法想象我那时有多蠢!
29.I don't know...
我不知道……
I don't know what to say.
我不知道说什么。
30.I don't really enjoy...
我不怎么喜欢……
I don't really enjoy western food.
我不怎么喜欢吃西餐。
I don't really enjoy chatting on the Internet.
我不怎么喜欢网上聊天。
31.I figure...
我估计/我想……
I figure it's time to look for a new job.
我想是跳槽的时候了。
32.I hate...
我讨厌……
I hate waiting in line.
我讨厌排队。
I hate people asking me for money.
我讨厌别人向我要钱。
33.I have never...
我从来没有……
I have never been to Shanghai.
我从没去过上海。
I have never broken my word.
我从来没有失信过。
34.I have to...
我必须/不得不……
I have to ask my boss first.
我得先问一下我的老板。
35.I haven't...for...
我已经……(时间)没……
I haven't taken a shower for a week.
我已经一个星期没洗澡了。
I haven't studied English for three years.
我已经三年没学英语了。
36.I must...我必须……
It's late. I must go now.
时候不早了,我必须走了。
I must tell you the truth.
我必须告诉你事情的真相。
37.I suppose...
我想/我看……
I suppose he's lying again.
我看他又在撒慌。
I suppose you have to work harder next time.
我看你下次得再加把劲。
38.I want to...
我想做……
I want to improve my English.
我想要提高我的英文水平。
39.I wish you wouldn't...
我希望你不要……
Andrew's Note: This is a polite way of expressing displeasure. If you want to mention someone's faults without starting a fight, this might be a good way to do it. 这个句型是表达不高兴的一种礼貌的方式。如果你想指出某人的缺点而不至于吵起来,那么你最好使用这个句型。
I wish you wouldn't smoke.
我希望你不要抽烟。
I wish you wouldn't hog the phone.
我希望你不要煲电话粥。
40.I won't... 我不会……
I won't let you down.
我不会让你失望的。
41.I'd appreciate...
我会很感激……
I'd appreciate you finishing this by tomorrow.
你能在明天之前完成的话,我会很感激的。
I'd appreciate it if you'd lend me some money.
如果你能借我点钱,我会很感激的。
42.I'd rather...
我宁愿……
I'd rather you didn't do it.
我宁愿你不要这么做。
I'd rather you told me frankly what you think.
我宁愿你直截了当地告诉我你的想法。
43.I'll probably...
我可能会……
I'll probably take off early this afternoon.
今天下午我可能会早点离开。
44.I'm considering...
我打算……
I'm considering starting my own business.
我打算创业。
45.I'm glad...
我很高兴……
I'm glad you could make it.
我很高兴你能来。
46.I'm going to...
我要……
Andrew's Note: Although you could often say “I will” in the place of this structure, saying “I'm going to” will make you sound like a more comfortable and confident speaker of English. 你可能经常用“I will”来代替这个句型,但是如果你能用“I'm going to”,别人会觉得你的英语说得更加自如、更加自信。
这是美国人频繁使用的一个句型,但是你可能没有注意到,因为美国人在日常生活中喜欢把“I'm going to...”说成“I'm gonna...”。
I'm going to get married.
我要结婚了。
47.I'm sorry, but...
对不起,(但是)……
I'm sorry, but I can't make it.
对不起,我来不了。
I'm sorry, but the answer is no.
对不起,答案是否定的。
48.I've thought about...
我已考虑过……
I've thought about what you said. And I decided that you're right.
我已考虑过你说的话了,我认为你是对的。
I've thought about joining the army.
我考虑过要不要参军。
49.If only...!
要是……就好了!
Andrew's Note: You will sound very American if you express your hopes and desires with this sentence pattern. 如果你能用这个句型来表达你的希望和心愿,那么你的英语听起来就非常有美国味。
这是一个六星级的句型,是假设一种理想的情况,所以这个句型后面接虚拟语气。
If only I could speak perfect English!
要是我能说一口流利的英语就好了!
If only I hadn't left my girlfriend!
要是我没有和我女朋友分手就好了!
50.In my opinion...
在我看来……
In my opinion, that's the right thing to do.
在我看来,那样做是对的。
In my opinion, the company should not launch this project.
就我个人的观点,公司不应实施这个项目。
51....in need of...
需要……
He was definitely not in need of money.
他确实不需要钱。
You look as if you're in need of a bath!
你看起来需要洗个澡了!
52.Is it OK for me to...?
我……可以吗?
Andrew's Note: This is a great way of asking for permission without sounding too formal. 这个句型是征求许可的一种好方式,听起来也不会太正式。
Is it OK for me to pay by check?
我用支票支付可以吗?
Is it OK for me to leave early?
我可以早点走吗?
53.Is there anyone...?
有谁……?
Is there anyone willing to go with me?
有谁愿意跟我一起去吗?
Is there anyone here who knows the para para?
这里有谁会跳芭拉芭拉舞吗?
54....is up to you.
……由你。
Andrew's Note: This is another sentence pattern that not many Chinese students of English know, but Americans say every day. Native speakers will be impressed if you use this sentence pattern comfortably. 这是另一个大多数学英语的中国学生不会用的句型,但是美国人却天天都在说。如果你能够自如地使用这个句型,那么老外对你的英语就会感到印象深刻。
The choice is up to you.
你自己选择。
55.Isn't it time for...?
难道现在不是……的时候吗?
I'm so hungry. Isn't it time for dinner?
我饿死了,难道现在不是吃晚饭的时候了吗?
56.It is great...
……真是太好了。
It is great that you came.
你来了,真是太好了。
It is great to have some time to myself.
留一些属于自己的时间真是太好了。
57.It is true that...
确实,……
It is true that we still have a long way to go.
确实,我们仍有一段很长的路要走。
It is true that pollution has become more and more a serious issue.
确实,环境污染已经成为一个越来越严重的问题。
58.It sounds like...
听起来……
It sounds like a wonderful place.
听起来这地方很不错。
Is sounds like he knows something.
听起来他似乎知道些什么。
59.It was not until...that....
直到……才……
It was not until yesterday that I heard the news.
我直到昨天才听到这个消息。
It was not until I had read your letter that I understood the true reason.
直到我看完你的信,我才明白真正的原因。
60.It is a pleasure to...
很高兴……
It is a pleasure to work with you.
很高兴跟你一起工作。
It is a pleasure to meet you.
很高兴认识你。
61.It's not likely that...
不太可能……
It's not likely that he will succeed.
他不太可能赢。
It's not likely that they would agree.
他们不太可能同意。
62.It's your turn to...
轮到你……
Andrew's Note: Americans pride themselves on their fairness, and taking turns is engrained in children from a very young age. Whether it comes to sharing toys or household tasks, children are taught to take their turn. 美国人对他们的公平意识感到自豪,轮流做事从孩子们很小的时候就在脑海里根深蒂固了。不管是分享玩具还是分配家务劳动,孩子们都学会要轮流交换。
It's your turn to make dinner.
轮到你做饭了。
63.Just let me know if...
如果……,就告诉我。
Just let me know if I can do anything for you.
如果有什么我可以帮忙的,就告诉我。
Just let me know if you don't understand.
如果你不明白,就告诉我。
64.Maybe I will...
或许我可以……
Maybe I will be able to see you tonight.
或许我今晚可以见你。
65....means a lot to me.
……对我来说很重要。
My family means a lot to me.
我的家庭对我来说很重要。
66.My point is...
我的意思是……
Andrew's Note: This is an excellent way to explain the essence of something you have already said.用这个句型来解释你已经说过的话中的精髓,那是再好不过了。
My point is that you're wasting your time at that job.
我的意思是你做那个工作是在浪费时间。
My point is that you need to be more reponsible.
我的意思是你的责任心不够。
67....neither...nor...
既不……,也不……
He neither drinks nor smokes.
他既不抽烟,也不喝酒。
68.Nice to...
很高兴……
Nice to meet you.
很高兴认识你。
Nice to see you again.
很高兴再次见到你们。
69.No wonder...
难怪……
You jogged 10 miles? No wonder you're so tired.
你跑了10英里?难怪你这么累。
70....not only..., but also...
不仅……,而且……
His girlfriend is not only pretty, but also intelligent.
他的女朋友不仅漂亮,而且很聪明。
71.... not that...
没那么……
I'm not that stupid!
我可没那么蠢!
English is not that difficult.
英语没那么难。
72....nothing but...
就只有……/除了……,啥都没有。
I did nothig but sleep all weekend.
整个周末,我除了睡觉,啥都没做。
73.Now that...
既然……
Now that you have come, you may as well stay for a couple of days.
既然你已经来了,就呆几天吧!
74....one of the most...
最……之一。
I think she is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen.
我想她是我见过的最漂亮的女孩之一了。
75.Please don't...
请不要……
Andrew's Note: It's always polite to add please to any request you make. 在你提出的任何要求前面加上“please”总是显得十分礼貌。
Please don't say that. It's not your fault.
请不要那样说。那不是你的错。
Please don't make a fuss.
请不要小题大做。
76...., that is to say, ...
……,也就是说,……
Andrew's Note: One of the special things about English is the multitude of different ways one can say the same thing. English speakers often like to say the same thing twice, joined with this phrase, in order to make their meaning more dear. 英语的一个特点就是可以用很多不同的方式来说明同一件事情。讲英语的人为了使他们的意思表达得更清楚明白,经常喜欢将这个短语放在句子中间,把同一件事情表达两次。
He's a workaholic, that is to say, a man who devotes all his energy to work.
他是个工作狂,也就是说,他把全部精力都投入到工作中。
77.That reminds me...
那提醒了我/那让我想起了……
That reminds me I need to buy my wife a gift for her birthday.
那提醒了我要给我妻子买一件生日礼物。
That reminds me of the summer we spent on Hainan Island.
那让我想起了我们在海南岛度过的夏季。78.That's the best...
那是最好的……
That's the best you'll find.
那是你能找到的最好的东西。
79.That's very...of you.
你真……
That's very nice of you.
你真好。
80.They say...
听人说/有人说……
Andrew's Note: Who are “they”? No one knows. But any time you want to back a statement with more authority than your own, you can just say that “they” say so, but be ready to say who “they” are if somone asks you. 到底谁是“他们”?没人知道。但有时你想找到比自己更有说服力的人来支持你的言论,那么你就可以简单地说“他们都这么说”。但如果有人问你“他们是谁”,你要有回答的准备。
They say the president is going to resign.
听人说总裁要辞职。
They say our manager is gay.
有人说我们经理是同性恋。